We all know that the consumers today are interested in the practices of companies with which they do business. Many companies are feeling pressure to restructure their operations to be more environmentally friendly.
Issues related to being environmentally responsible cannot be ignored. Our environment is heavily impacted by all businesses. Some of the impact on our environment is because companies rarely recycle computers or electronic equipment. Paper on the other hand is almost universally recycled and now most of the ink used in the printing process is much more environmentally friendly than in the past
Petroleum-Based Inks are being replaced with vegetable based inks
Petroleum-based inks add to the air pollution in our environment. The problem is that as these inks dry, they emit petroleum and alcohol, while releasing volatile organic compounds (VOCs). In an attempt to control these emissions, numerous printers have begun using environmentally friendly vegetable-based inks.
Some of the vegetable-based inks are made with corn, soy, walnut or coconut oils.
- These inks reduce or even eliminate VOCs altogether.
- This allows companies to clean their presses with water-based cleaners.
- The soy-based ink may provide more accurate colors than its petroleum-based counterpart may.
- Paper printed with the vegetable-based ink is easier to de-ink than those printed with conventional inks.
- Vegetable-based inks closely resemble their petroleum-based counterparts when considering drying time and rub-resistance.
Many printers that use the environmentally friendly inks enjoy other benefits as well:
- The ability to recycle the aluminum in the printing plates.
- The ability to collect paper waste to be sold to recyclers.
- The improvement of processes, reducing spills and waste.
- Environmentally friendly consumers being proud to do business with them.
- Consumers proudly referring their friends and family to them.
Environmentally friendly inks are one of the many green trends taking place in the printing world and since printing and promotional products remain an important advertising and marketing medium this is good new for businesses and consumers alike.